Water: the elixir of life and apprentice of death

 Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink' (Samuel Taylor Coleridge, 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner')

As a child, I played in the forest behind my home. In that forest flowed a small creek. I would play for hours, building up a strong thirst.  Being young and foolish, I would drink from the steam, not realizing the peril in which I placed myself.  I had no idea what drained into that body of water or what dead animal may lay rotting upstream. I had no concept of bacteria and viruses.  I was lucky beyond belief I never became ill from such foolishness.  


All life, as we know it, requires water. We, as humans, desire cool, clear water for consumption.  But just because it looks clean and tastes good, does not mean it’s safe for drinking.  


Water is for more than consumption.  It waters the plants and livestock we require for survival. It can also provide power if manipulated correctly.  Water is an element to be respected and mastered if possible.  


Water can also be humankind’s bane.  Floods, water-borne diseases, and erosion can crumble humankind’s chances for surviving and thriving.  


 Before drinking water from any untested source, filtering  and purifying is required to ensure safe health.  Filtering water minimizes unwanted solid contaminants.  Purifying water minimizes biological contaminants. Water filters act as the last line of defense against over 2,100 known toxins that may enter the body through drinking water. Drinking clean, filtered water leads to general overall wellbeing and also helps to prevent disease. Contaminates like herbicides, pesticides, chlorine, fungicides, some organic substances and most of the agricultural treatment products cannot be filtered out of water, so knowing what your water source may contain is imperative.  


Next: Finding and Storing Food




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basic Human Needs

Acquiring Basic Needs/Preparing

Obtaining Shelter